Châtel sur Moselle

Historical portrait :

Being located on the shores of the Moselle River, on the intersection of 3 Roman roads and on the road to Burgundy Châtel was from the 11th century a strategic point.

 

The city therefore rapidly owned a fortified castle and became the administrative center in the County of Vaudémont, Gérard 1st being the first Count. When Gerard 1st was defeated by the Duke of Burgundy, a part of the County was then given up to him for several centuries. After that, at the whim of many conflicts, the city’s sovereignty successively passed on to the hands of Burgundy, Lorraine, and then to the Kingdom of France.

 

In the 17th century, Châtel was severely damaged by the Thirty Years War. The Kings of France - Cardinal Richelieu, Louis XIII, and Louis XIV, kept attempting to conquer Lorraine. Between 1634 and 1670, Châtel was besieged 9 times, and in 1671, the fortress finally surrendered to the troops of General Créqui, sent by Louis XIV.

 

Châtel was also a very religious city – many religious buildings were built on the castle’s ruins, such as the Monastery Notre-Dame or the Convent of the Capuchin Monks. At the end of World War II, Châtel was liberated by La Nueve - a troop of Spanish Republican soldiers that were taking refuge in France and were part of the Free French Forces (under General Charles De Gaulle).

Monuments / Heritage:

The Monastery Notre-Dame: built on the castle’s ruins in 1710, using materials from the old fortifications. It was then turned into a school.

 

The Church: built in the 15th century, it is registered as Historic Monument.

 

The fortified castle: The first castle was built between 1072 and 1100 in order to protect the new County of Vaudémont. In 1150, the Counts ordered the construction of a hotel on the East side of the castle, pretending the donjon was not comfortable enough. Between the 13th and the 15th century, the castle was extended three times, because of the lords’ desires or for military updating. In 1671, after 9 successive sieges, the castle was defeated by General Créqui, under the orders of the King of France Louis 14th. Créqui ordered the total destruction of the place, but the quantity of explosives they needed for that was not affordable. He therefore asked the people to cover it with soil – it took 4 months. The site was registered as Historic Monument in 1988.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Ab 11.Jahrhundert war Châtel ein strategischen Ort, weil er auf den Ufern der Mosel, auf der Kreuzung drei Römerstraßen und auf einer Straße zur Bourgogne stand.

 

Schnell baute also die Stadt ein Schloss und wurde sie die Regierungszentrum der Grafschaft von Vaudémont. Als Gérard I. von Vaudémont vom Herzog von Bourgogne besiegt wurde, gehörte nun der Grafschaft zu ihm. Danach, als mehrere Konflikte geschahen, wurde die Stadt mehrmals zwischen die Bourgogne, Lothringen und Frankreich bestritten.

 

Im 17. Jahrhundert wurde Châtel dramatisch wegen des dreißigjährigen Krieges zerstört. Die Könige von Frankreich (Kardinal Richelieu, Louis 13. und Louis 14.) versuchten immer wieder Lothringen zu erobern. Zwischen 1634 und 1670 wurde Châtel 9-mal belagert. Schließlich 1671 gab das Schloss nach den Truppen dem General Créqui, der vom König Louis 14. abgeordnet wurde. Châtel war auch eine sehr religiöse Stadt: mehrere religiöse Gebäude, wie das Mönchskloster Notre-Dame oder das Kloster der Kapuziner, wurde auf den Schlossruinen aufgebaut.

 

Am Ende des Zweiten Weltkrieges wurde Châtel von La Nueve befreit: das war eine Truppe von Spanischen Republikanern, die in Frankreich geflüchtet hatte um in den freien französischen Streitkräfte (mit General Charles De Gaulle) einzutreten.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Das Mönchkloster Notre-Dame: auf den Schlossruinen im Jahre 1710 aufgebaut, mit Baustoff aus der alten Stadtmauer.

 

Die Kirche: im 15. Jahrhundert gebaut, sie gehört zum Inventar der historischen Baudenkmäler.

 

Das Schloss: das erste Schloss wurde zwischen 1072 und 1100 erbaut, um die neue Grafschaft von Vaudémont zu schützen. Im Jahre 1150 ordneten die Grafen neben dem Schloss der Bau eines Hotels an, weil ihre Meinung nach der Bergfried nicht bequem genug war. Zwischen den 13. und den 15. Jahrhundert wurde das Schloss dreimal vergrößert, wegen der Wünsche der Lehnsherren oder militärischen Fortschreibungen. Im Jahre 1671 wurde das Schloss vom General Créqui nach 9 sukzessiven Sitzen besiedelt.

 

Er ordnete die totale Zerstörung des Orts an, aber die Kosten des Explosivstoffs waren nicht bezahlbar. Er fragte also der Bevölkerung das Schloss mit Erde abzudecken. Das nahm 4 Monaten. Der Ort wurde 1988 als historisches Monument registriert.