Charmes

Historical portrait :

“Charmes” does not come from the verb “to charm” but from the hornbeams, “charmes” in French, surrounding the city.

 

In the time of the Roman Empire, several Roman Roads were crossing the region. Vestiges of this time can frequently be seen.

 

During the 11th century, the Counts of Toul, a nearby city upon which Charmes depended, would build a fortified castle and surrounding walls in order to protect the city against the Hungarians’ raids.

 

In the 14th century, the town belonged to the Duke of Lorraine and suffered from plague, epidemic, famine and banditry.

In 1475, the Duke of Lorraine is at war against the Duke of Bourgogne, “Charles le Téméraire”. Charmes is plundered and burnt down.

In the 17th century, Cardinal Richelieu and Charles 4th, Duke of Lorraine, would sign the Treaty of Charmes. The locality would then be under French domination. The Duke, however, would quickly conquer it back. In reprisal, the French Colonel Jean de Gassion and his Swedish allies would burn the city again in 1635. Until the end of the century, Charmes would be destroyed, plundered and epidemics and poverty would make the population decrease.

Peace and prosperity came back in the 18th century. The Lorraine would finally become French in 1766.

 

Charmes would be destroyed once again during the Franco-Prussian War in 1870. But until World War I, and thanks to the Canal and the railroad line, the economy would improve - breweries, spinning mills, brickyards, tile factories, sawmills and other industries appeared.

 

World War I would be deadly for 200 inhabitants because of the Battle of the “Trouée de Charmes”, but the town itself was spared.

 

During World War II, however, the town would be burnt down again by the retreating Germans in 1944. A quick reconstruction would be launched 3 years later, finished in 1952. President Vincent Auriol would inaugurate Charmes as the first rebuilt town after the war.

Monuments / Heritage:

The House “Maison des Loups” (The Wolves House): built in the 14th century, Cardinal Richelieu and the Duke of Lorraine signed the Treaty of Charmes in this house.

The Church of Saint-Nicolas: built in the 15th century, it was affected by World War Two. The steeple was rebuilt in the 1950’s.

 

The sculpture “Miracle de Saint Arnould”: in the 7th century, the cervoise is said to have miraculously multiplied in order to provide for the thirst of the cortege transporting Saint Arnould’s body.

 

The Eco-museum “Moulin du Battant”: a witness to Charmes’s great time. During the summer season, this Museum will make you travel through Charmes’s prosperity ages from 1580 to 1997.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Der Name „Charmes“ kommt aus den Weißbuchen um die Stadt herum.

In der Zeit des römischen Reichs wurde die Region von mehreren Römerstraßen durchquert. Spuren dieser Epoche sind häufig.

Im 11. Jahrhundert haben die Grafen von Toul eine Festung und eine Stadtmauer aufgebaut, um die Stadt vor den Ungarischen Überfällen zu schützen. 

Im 14. Jahrhundert gehört Charmes dem Herzog von Lorraine und erleidet Plage, Hungersnot und Räuberunwesen.

1475 gibt es einen Krieg zwischen dem Herzog von Lorraine und dem Herzog von Bourgogne, „Charles le Téméraire“. Charmes wurde durch einen Brand und Plünderungen zerstört.

Im 17. Jahrhundert ist Charmes durch den Charmes-Vertrag („Traité de Charmes“) mit Kardinal Richelieu unter dem französischen Schutz. Charles 4., der Herzog von Lorraine, wird sie aber schnell wiedererlangen. Der französische Oberst Jean de Gassion hat also Vergeltungsmaßnahmen ergriffen: er und seine Schwedische Alliierten haben 1635 die Stadt niedergebrannt. Bis zum Ende des Jahrhunderts musste Charmes Zerstörung, Plünderungen, Epidemien und Elend erleiden.

Friede und Wohlstand kammen im 18. Jahrhundert wieder und 1766 wurde die Lorraine französisch.

Noch einmal wird die Stadt 1870 während des Deutsch-Französischen Krieges zerstört. Bis zum ersten Weltkrieg wird aber ihre Wirtschaft dank der Eisenbahn und des Kanals entwickelt. Bierbrauereien, Spinnereien, Ziegeleien, Dachsteinwerke, Sägemühlen und andere Industrien haben sich herausgebildet.

Der erste Weltkrieg wurde sterblich für 200 Einwohner wegen der Schlacht von der „Trouée de Charmes“ sein, aber der Stadt wurde gespart.

 

Während des zweiten Weltkriegs dagegen wurde die Stadt 1944 zum dritten Mal von den rückziehenden Deutschen in Brand gesteckt. Drei Jahre später hat ein schneller Wiederaufbau begonnen, der 1952 fertig war. Der Präsident Vincent Auriol weihte sie ein als die erste wieder aufgebaute Stadt in Frankreich nach dem Krieg. 

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Das Haus „Maison des Loups“ (Das Haus der Wölfe): es wurde im 14. Jahrhundert gebaut. Kardinal Richelieu und der Herzog von Lorraine haben dort den Charmes-Vertrag („Traité de Charmes“) unterschrieben.

Saint-Nicolas Kirche: Im 15. Jahrhundert gebaut, sie wurde in dem zweiten Weltkrieg beschädigt. Ihr Glockenturm wurde in der 1950er Jahren wiederaufgebaut.

Die Skulptur „Miracle de Saint Arnould“ (Das Wunder von Saint-Arnould): im 7. Jahrhundert hat das Bier sich in  wunderbarerweise vermehrt, um den Durst zu löschen von dem Leichenzug, der die sterbliche Hülle von Saint-Arnould transportierte.

Das Ecomuseum „Moulin du Battant“; Zeuge zu der Blütezeit in Charmes, von 1580 bis 1997.