Charmois l'Orgueilleux

Historical portrait :

The name of the village has an interesting origin. “Charmois” is a hedge of hornbeams and “l’Orgueilleux” means “the Proud”. The name probably comes from a watch post of Templers, situated on a hill over the village and hidden by a hedge of hornbeams. 

 

In the Gallo-Roman age, Charmois was probably inhabited by a Gallic tribe: the Leuques. The name could then have Celtic roots. “Org” means “hill” and the suffix “illeux” is a superlative. “Orgueilleux” would then mean “Little Hill”.

 

In 1559, a glass fabric was built in the hamlet “Neuve Verrerie” (New Glass Fabric). The building would be destroyed during the Thirty Years War and rebuilt in 1669. It is completely lost today.

 

In the 1850’s, a cholera epidemic was striking Charmois. Justine de Bonnay would found an orphanage to receive the children of the victims: the House of the Nuns of the Poor Child Jesus. Today, this orphanage is Saint Jean retirement home. Justine’s house is still inhabited today in Neuve Verrerie.

 

Charmois l’Orgueilleux was spared during World War II. A Virgin Mary statue was erected at the top of the village – a place named La Chalumelle - as thanks giving. 

Monuments / Heritage:

The City Hall and the School are listed buildings.

 

The Chapel Miséricorde: was built in 1866 by parents grieving their 10-year-old daughter so that they could commune with themselves because the graveyard was too far. 


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Der Name « Charmois l’Orgueilleux » hat eine interessante Herkunft. „Charmois“ ist abgeleitet von dem Baum: die Weißbuche. "l‘Orgueilleux“ bedeutet "der Protzige“. Der Name kommt wahrscheinlich von einer Lauersteller der Templer, die auf einem Hügel stand und von Weißbuchen umgeben war.

 

In der Gallo-romanischen Epoche war Charmois l’Orgueilleux bestimmt von den gallischen Stämmen der "Leuques“ besiedelt. Der Name kann also auch eine keltische Herkunft haben. Die keltische Bedeutung "Org“ ist "Hügel“, und "illeux“ ist ein Superlativ im Sinne des kleinen. "Orgueilleux“ würde also "Kleiner Hügel“ bedeuten.

 

In den 1850er Jahren wütete in Charmois eine Cholera Epidemie, die viele Opfer forderte. Justine de Bonnay eröffnete danach das Haus der "Ordensfrauen des Armen Kindes Jesu“: ein Waisenhaus für die Hinterbliebenen Kinder der Opfer. Dieses Waisenhaus ist heute das Altenheim Saint Jean. Das Haus von Justine de Bonnay ist noch heute bewohnt.

 

Während des zweiten Weltkrieges wurde Charmois verschont: als Dank wurde eine Figur der Jungfrau Maria auf der Dorfs Höhe (La Chalumelle) aufgerichtet.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Das Rathaus und die Schule: sind Gebäude unter Denkmalschutz.

 

Die Kapelle der Barmherzigkeiten ("Chapelle de la Miséricorde“): sie wurde im Jahre 1866 von Eltern aufgebaut, die den Tod ihrer 10-jährigen Tochter beklagte, weil der Gang auf den Friedhof zu weit war.