Chaumousey

Historical portrait :

In the Antiquity, the land of Chaumousey was crossed by Roman Roads, the outline of which still remains today. In the 11th century, a priest named Seherus, helped by the lord Thierry de Chaumousey and his wife Hadwige, built an abbey that would later become very well known and influential in the region, but nothing of it remains today.

 

In the Middle Age, Chaumousey was governed by several different authorities, including the Knight Pierre de Bourlémont, the Knight Hue, aka Tripotel, the lord Thiébaut de Florine, and the lord Pierre de Boulain. At the end of the 19th century, Chaumousey built its own church, with a City Hall, a girls’ school and a boys’ school.

 

During the 1880’s, a reservoir-lake was built in the locality of Bouzey, whose a section belonged to Chaumousey. The purpose of this lake has been to supply the water for the Vosges Canal. Today, it is a famous recreation place for the Vosges inhabitants, and it draws many tourists.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

In der Antike war der Ort von Römerstraßen durchquert. Ihr Verlauf ist heute immer noch sichtbar. Im 11. Jahrhundert wurde eine Abtei vom Priester Seherus, dem Lehnsherr Thierry de Chaumousey und seiner Frau Hadwige, gebaut.

 

Diese Abtei entwickelte sich zum großen Augustiner Kloster und erlebte seine Blütezeit. Heute ist der Ort verlassen. In dem Mittelalter war Chaumousey mehreren Herrschaften unterstellt: der Ritter Pierre de Bourlémont, der Ritter Hue (auch Tripotel genannt), der Lehnsherr Thiébaut de Florine, oder der Lehnsherr Pierre de Boulain.

 

Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts baute Chaumousey seine eigene Kirche, Rathaus, Mädchenschule und Knabenschule. In den 1880er Jahren wurde der Stausee von Bouzey gebaut: ein Ort, der zu Chaumousey gehört. Seine Bestimmung bleibt nach wie vor, die Wasserversorgung des Vogesen Kanals.

 

Der Teich und seine Umgebung sind heute ein beliebter Ruheplatz für ländliches Vergnügen.