Essegney

Historical portrait :

From the 12th to the 17th century, the name of Essegney would change several times: Aussiniacavilla, Enseigneis, Assigney, and Essigney in 1656.

 

In the 15th century, the Duke of Lorraine commanded the construction of a hospital in Essegney. This hospital would be managed by the Franciscan Sisters, “Soeurs-Grises”, from Nancy.

 

Essegney was held by the Barons of Thumery carrying the title of Knight-Lords of Essegney (“Chevaliers-Seigneurs d’Essegney”). In the 18th century, they would share the title with the De l’Espée family line. In the 1970’s, an arm, fragment of an antique statue, was discovered in Essegney.

 

It probably dates from the 2nd or 3rd century. It is now exhibited in the Musée Départemental in Epinal, but it was beforehand used to hold a lamp in the village of Chamagne.

Monuments / Heritage:

Several fountains are to see, including a trough-fountain and a wash house.


The hamlet “Hameau de la Maison du Bois”, which was a graveyard in the 17th century, called “Les Pestiférés”, where the victims of the plague, probably in 1631, were buried. During World War One, a hospital would then be built on this place.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Der Name Essegney hat sich mehrmals vom 12. Jahrhundert bis zum 17. Jahrhundert geändert: Aussiniacavilla, Enseigneis, Assigney, Essigney …

 

Im 15. Jahrhundert besitzt Essegney ein Krankenhaus, dessen Schirmherr der Herzog von Lorraine war. Es wurde von den Franziskanerinnen Schwestern „Soeurs-Grises“ aus Nancy geführt. Essegney war unter dem Schutz der Baronen von Thumery, die den Titel "Chevaliers-Seigneurs d‘Essegney“ ("Ritter-Herren Essegney“) führten. Dieser Titel wurde im 18. Jahrhundert ebenfalls der De l’Espée Familie zugeteilt.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Verschiedene Brunnen (darunter ein Tränkebrunnen und ein Waschplatzbrunnen) Das Dörfchen "Hameau de la Maison du Bois“, wo sich ein Friedhof, der "Les Pestiférés“ genannt wurde, befand.

 

Die Opfer der Pest wurden vermutlich um das Jahr 1631 dort beerdigt. Während des ersten Weltkriegs wurde hier ein Krankenhaus errichtet