Fontenoy-le-Château

Historical portrait :

In 980, the Counts of Toul built a square tower in Fontenoy, which was one of the first fortifications in the Vosges. The tower was used to keep control of the Coney Valley. It was destroyed during the Thirty Years War.

 

In the 16th century, Fontenoy was an important trading place. The glasswork of the region was sold to sellers who would spread it throughout France and abroad. In the 17th century, the Thirty Years War ravaged the country and was a slaughter for the people. But the industrial development of the forges in the 18th century would revive the country.

 

On July 26, 1789, in the midst of the French Revolution, 88 farmers created a riot in Fontenoy, in order to burn the records of the lords’ royalties. In 1861, Julie Victoire Daubié, who lived in Fontenoy, was the first woman to graduate in France. At that time, the custom – not the law – forbade women to be educated. Her diploma was signed only a year later, thanks to the Empress Eugenie’s insistence. Julie Victoire was then the first woman to obtain a Bachelor Degree in Literature. She would be a pioneer in the fight for the Women’s Rights and emancipation.

 

In the 19th century, the embroidery from Fontenoy-le-Château was sold to the Court of France and all the way to North Africa and the Middle East. At the end of the century, 500 embroideresses working from home were participating in the activity. The Museum of Embroidery, Metalworking and Heritage pays tribute to this activity.

Monuments / Heritage:

The Lombards Tower (Tour des Lombards): The tower, in the center of the village, is listed as Historical Monument. It was built in the 14th century, used as a strong room in the 15th and as a prison in the 17th.

 

The Chapel of Saint-George (17th century): It is said to have been built in memory of two young men who killed one another because of a complicated love story.

 

The mural painting : representing Julie Victoire Daubié and “Gros Rémond” – the  world fattest man of his time but who is today  largely surpassed.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Im Jahre 980 bauten die Grafen von Toul einen Quadratturm in Fontenoy, welcher einer der ersten Festungen in den Vogesen war. Dieser Turm erlaubte die Kontrolle über das Tal von Côney. Die Festung wurde während des Dreißigjährigen Krieges zerstört.

 

Im 16. Jahrhundert war Fontenoy ein wichtiger Handelsplatz, wo die Glasarbeiten der Region in den Handel kamen, wodurch sie in Frankreich und im Ausland verkauft wurden. Die Massaker im Dreißigjährigen Krieg, während des 17. Jahrhundert, ließen die Bevölkerungszahlen stark zurückgehen. Der industrielle Aufschwung der Schmieden wird aber Fontenoy erlauben, sich von diesem traurigen Schicksal zu erheben. Am 26. Juli 1789, in der Mitte der Französischen Revolution, schufen 88 Bauern einen Aufruhr in Fontenoy, um die Papiere und die Archive der Abgaben zu den Lehnherrschaften einzureißen. Im Jahre 1861 wurde eine Einwohnerin von Fontenoy, Julie Victoire Daubié, die erste diplomierte Frau in Frankreich. Sie war eine Pionierin des Kampfes für die Frauenrechte und Emanzipation der Frau.

 

Im 19. Jahrhundert wurde die Stickarbeit von Fontenoy-le-Château bis zum französischen Adel, sowie nach Nordafrika und in den Mittleren Osten verkauft. Am Ende des Jahrhunderts waren bis zu 500 Stickerinnen, die zu Hause arbeiteten, an dieser Tätigkeit beteiligt.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Der Turm der Lombards (14. Jh.): Dieser Turm, unter Denkmalschutz, war im 15. Jh. Eine Schatzkammer und im 17. Jh. ein Gefängnis.

 

Die Kapelle von Saint-George (17. Jh.): sie wurde gebaut, zum Gedenken an zwei jungen Männer, die wegen einer komplizierten Liebegeschichte sich gegenseitig töteten.

 

Die Wandmalerei, die Julie Victoire Daubié mit "Gros Rémond“, der dicksten Mann der französischen Geschichte, abbildet. Das Museum von Stickarbeit, Metallurgie und Ehe Die Kirche von Saint-Mansuy: sie wurde im 15. Jh. Gebaut, aber der Glockenturm datiert von 1820.