Golbey

Historical portrait :

The name “Golbey” comes from “Goulle-Belle” (Beautiful Goulle), the Goulle being a pond at that time. Prehistoric tools and Gallo-Roman vestiges have been found, proof of an ancient settlement in the first AD centuries.

 

At the end of the Middle Age, Golbey was protected by the Duke of Lorraine. It would be until French Revolution. In the 17th century, Golbey was devastated by the Thirty Years War. In 1710, only 23 inhabitants would remain. In the 19th century, thanks to the construction of the Canal and the railroad line, Golbey could now have industries.

 

The population increased and was mostly composed of workers. Before World War I, Golbey owned a storehouse for 3 dirigible airships for the needs of the Army. In the 20th century, Golbey’s industries endured a sharp decline, like in most cities throughout the region. However the industrial parks now surrounding the city can secure the future.

Monuments / Heritage:

The Church was built in 1836.  A table representing the Virgin and the child Jesus can be seen inside. The churyard was moved at the current place in 1876.

 

The Spinning Mill (“Filature de la Gosse”), which dates from 1891, was built near the Moselle River in Golbey. On the ground floor Alsacian machines are installed. Like for the laundry-dyeing factory of Thaon, the factory was created by an association of Vosgian and Alsacian people further to the annexation of Alsace and Lorraine.

In 1907 another building is built in the "English style", with red bricks like Vincey's spinning mill further north.

Until 1914 its development was constant. The company built many council estates and was not affected by the First World War. it expanded again in 1926.

After the Second World War the loss of markets and the new competition encouraged the company to turn to more modern techniques of production In the early 1980s the factory of Golbey is one of the biggest production units in Lorraine.

Unfortunately from the late 1980s the company is little by little forced to reduce its costs . Finally the factory was transferred in another location in 1997. The brownfield site was destroyed.

 

 

The “Canal-Bridge”: In Golbey, the Canal flows above the Moselle on a bridge that was built around 1870.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Der Name "Golbey“ kommt von "Goulle-Belle“ (Schöner Goulle). Der Goulle war ein Teich. Dort wurden prähistorische Geräte und galloromanische Überreste gefunden. Sie zeugen von einer alten Siedlung während der ersten Jahrhunderte nach Christus. Am Ende des Mittelalters wurde Golbey unter den Schutz des Herzogs von Lorraine gestellt, wo es bis zur Französischen Revolution blieb.

 

Im 17. Jahrhundert wurde Golbey von dem Dreißigjährigen Krieg verwüstet. Im Jahre 1710 zählt die Bevölkerung nur 23 Einwohner.

 

Im 19. Jahrhundert wird Golbey mit dem Bau des Kanals und der Eisenbahn industrialisiert. Die Bevölkerung wächst und ist größtenteils von Arbeitern bewohnt. Vor dem ersten Weltkrieg verfügt Golbey über ein großes Lager für drei Zeppelins für Armeezwecke.

 

Im 20. Jahrhundert erleidet die Industrie in Golbey und in der ganzen Region einen starken Rückgang. Eine lange Tradition geht zu Ende. Der Verlust wird teilweise durch neue Gewerbegebiete, die sich heute um die Stadt herum entwickelt haben, aufgefangen.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Die Kirche (1836)

 

Die Spinnerei "Filature de la Gosse“, die 1891 gebaut wurde.

 

Die "Kanal-Brücke