Harsault

Historical portrait :

Numerous prehistoric tools have been found in Harsault and surrounding area. They are witness to an old settlement at this time.

 

Under the Roman Empire, Harsault was crossed by a Roman Road, the outline of which is still used today. Two Gallo-Roman statues were found in Harsault. They represent a character wearing a bow and arrows – probably the Roman hunter and forester god Vosegus Silvestris. The statues are now exhibited in the Musée Départemental of the Vosges in Epinal.

 

In the 19th century, the main activity in Harsault was the fabrication of potato starch, which was used for fabric completion in the textile industry of the Region.

Monuments / Heritage:

The Church of Saint Gengoult: its onion-shaped steeple is remarkable. Such a steeple is quite rare in the Vosges. It desmonstrates its Franc-Comtoises origins.

 

 

The swing bridge over the Canal: built in 1880 but recently renovated and put back into service.

 

The Mill Gentrey : Turned into a Museum on the traditional potato starch fabrication.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Zahlreiche urgeschichtliche Werkzeuge, die in diesem Ort gefunden wurden, zeugen von einer prähistorischen Ansiedlung. Unter dem römischen Reich lag Harsault an einer Römer Straße. Ihr Verlauf ist noch heute befahren.

 

Zwei Gallo-romanische Grabsteine wurden in Harsault gefunden. Beide repräsentieren eine Figur mit Bogen und Pfeile. Es handelt sich möglicherweise um den römischen Jäger und Förster Gott Vosegus Silvestris. Die Grabsteine sind heute in dem Musée Départemental der Vogesen in Epinal ausgestellt.

 

Im 19. Jahrhundert war das Hauptgewerbe in Harsault die Kartoffelmehlherstellung für die Stoffappretur in der Textilindustrie der Vogesen.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Die Kirche von Saint Gengoult mit ihrem merkwürdigen Zwiebelturm.

 

Die Drehscheibe : im Jahre 1880 gebaut, neulich renoviert und wieder in Betrieb gesetzt.

 

Die Mühle Gentrey : ein Museum der handwerklichen Kartoffelmehlherstellung.