Igney

Historical portrait :

“Igney” is latin for fire (ign) and domain (iacum). In fact, the village was probably born under the Roman Empire, which is proven by the still remaining Roman Roads.

 

In the Middle Age, the land of Igney was split into two lordships: the smallest belonged to the very ancient De Mitry family of Lorraine. The second was held by the Canonesses of Epinal, then by the De Thumery family and finally got back to the De Mitry. Under Napoleon’s Empire, the Battle of the “Combats d’Epinal” took place in Igney. The French would defeat the Russian Cossacks and their allies, the Wurtembergers (today’s Germans from the Land of Stuttgart).

 

At the end of the 19th century, Igney, as well as the whole region, specialized in textile until the decline of the 70’s and 80’s, which would put an end to the industry.

Monuments / Heritage:

The Spinning Mill, built in 1894 in the typical style of the factories of that time, for example with its sawthooth roof.

 The factory of Igney is separated from the old village by the Nancy-Epinal railway. There is a clear contrast between the old agricultural village and the industrial area with the factory and the Council estates. 

The factory was acquired by Marcel Boussac in 1934 and shut down after the fall of his empire in the late 70s, early 80s. It is today destroyed in part and used for other activities.


The Church of Saint-Benoit, with the statue of “Notre Dame d’Igney”. This particular statue was discovered while digging for the Canal. A legend says that the statue was transported on an ox wagon. As it was passing by the church, the oxen stopped and refused to go further.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

« Igney » kommt aus dem Lateinischen « ign » (Feuer) und „iacum“ (Landgut). Das Dorf wurde nämlich ziemlich sicher unter der Herrschaft des Römischen Reiches gegründet, wie noch existierende Römerstraßen es bezeugen.

 

Im Mittelalter wurde Igney zwischen zwei Herrschaften aufgeteilt : die kleinste gehörte zu der sehr alten De Mitry Familie von Lorraine; die zweite gehörte zu den Kanonikerinnen von Epinal, dann zu der Thumery Familie, und dann wieder zu den De Mitry. Unter Napoleon fand die Schlacht "Combats d’Epinal“ in Igney statt.

 

Die Franzosen besiegten die Kosaken und ihre Alliierten, die Württemberger (heute die Region um Stuttgart). Am Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts spezialisiert sich Igney, wie die ganze Region, auf das Textilgewerbe, bis zum Niedergang in den 1970er und 1980er Jahren.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Die Spinnerei

 

Die Kirche von Saint-Benoit, mit der Statue « Notre Dame d’Igney », die während der Ausgrabung des Kanals gefunden wurde. Eine Legende erzählt, dass diese Statue in einem Ochsenwagen transportiert wurde. Als er an der Kirche vorbeifuhr weigerten die Ochsen, vorwärts zu gehen.