La Chapelle aux Bois

Historical portrait :

The name « La Chapelle-aux-Bois » means the Chapel in the Woods. In the Middle Age, inhabitants of the lordship of Hardemont, now a section belonging to La Chapelle-aux-Bois, came to settle in the glade and built a place of worship.

 

Little by little, the hamlet has become a village. In the forest, a stone dating from the Gallo-Roman age has been found. It is called the Stone of Jean Richard or “The Druidic Stone”. It is supposed to have been used by the Gallic as a sacrificial altar. In the 17th century, Hardemont was an important burg.

 

The lords inhabiting the castle belonged to the De Thuillières family. During the Thirty Years War (1618-1648), which confronted France and Lorraine, the region was devastated by the Swedish, France’s allies, who plundered and mistreated the people. The family de Thuillières therefore left the castle, leaving the people on their own.

 

In the 19th century, la Chapelle-aux-Bois owned a chair fabric that employed 25 workers, but farming remained the village’s main activity.

Monuments / Heritage:

The protective orchard (“Verger Conservatoire Vosgien”), planted after the storm in 1999 in order to preserve biodiversity.

 

La Ferme Aventure: 8 hectares (19 acres) of corn, stone or wood labyrinths to explore barefoot, natural games for kids and grown-ups; perched cabins, tepees or glass cabins lost in the woods can be your shelter for the night.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Das Dorf heißt „La Chapelle aux Bois“ (Die Kapelle in dem Walt), weil die Einwohner der Lehnherrschaft von Hardémont ein religiöser Besinnungsort in der Waldlichtung bauten. Langsam ist der Weiler ein Dorf geworden.

 

In dem Walt „Jeune Bois“ ist ein Stein gefunden worden, der von der Gallo-romanischen Epoche datiert: der Stein von Jean Richard, oder auch „druidischer Stein“ genannt. Man vermutet, dass er bei dem Opferkult in der gallischen Epoche Verwendung fand. Im 17. Jahrhundert war Hardémont (ein von La Chapelle-aux-Bois abhängiges Dörfchen) eine wichtige Festung.

 

Die Lehnherren, die dort wohnten, gehörten zu der De Thuillières Familie. Während des Dreißigjährigen Krieges (1618-1648), der Frankreich mit der Lothringen anfeindete, wurde die Region von den Schweden, die Alliierte Frankreichs, verwüstet. Sie misshandelten die Bevölkerung und plünderten sie aus. Die Familie De Thuillières musste die Burg von Hardémont verlassen.

 

Im 19. Jahrhundert verfügte La Chapelle-aux-Bois über eine Stuhlfabrik, die 25 Arbeiter anstellte. Die Haupttätigkeit der Ortschaft blieb aber die Landwirtschaft.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Der geschützte Baumgarten („Verger Conservatoire Vosgien“), der nach dem Sturm im Jahre 1999 gepflanzt wurde, um die Bio Diversität zu schützen.

 

La Ferme Aventure: 8 Hektare Anbau mit Mais-, sowie Stein-  oder Holzlabyrinthe, barfüßig zu durchlaufen; Baumhütten, Tipis, Naturspiele für Gross und Klein.