Langley

Historical portrait :

In the 13th century, Langley was called “Landily devant Chastel”. The name of Langley would only appear in 1458. In 1832, Langley asked the State for its own schoolhouse, but it was only in 1877 that the village would own a school and a City Hall.

 

On August 5, 1870, the day after the Battle of Wissembourg (Franco-Prussian War), a train carrying backup troops would pass by Langley. Another passenger train was coming from the other direction. The two trains collided in a curve, causing a tragic accident.

 

According to a legend, one of the trains was transporting a barrel of gold coins which broke and let the coins fall into the Moselle River and onto the tracks, but no coin has ever been found.

Monuments / Heritage:

The City Hall House, dating from 1623

 

Ruins of an 18th century

 

Hermitage Fountains and washhouses.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Im 13. Jahrhundert heißt Langley „Landily devant Chastel“. Der Name „Langley“ wird nur im Jahre 1458 erwähnt. Im Jahre 1832 stellt das Dorf beim Französischen Staat einen Antrag für ein Schulhaus.

 

Erst 1877 bekam Langley sein eigenes Rathaus und die Schule. Am 5. August 1870, am Folgetag der Schlacht von Wissembourg (Elsass), fuhr ein Zug, der eine Nachschubtruppe transportierte, durch Langley.

 

Ein Personenzug kam von der anderen Richtung. Die zwei Züge prallten in tragischer Weise aufeinander. Einer Legende nach war ein Fass voll von Goldmünzen an Bord eines Zuges zersprungen und Münzen sind auf die Bahnstrecke und in die Mosel gefallen, sie sind jedoch nie gefunden worden. Zwei Industrien sichern heute den Wohlstand für Langley.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Das Rathaus (1623)

 

Ruine einer Eremitage vom 18. Jahrhundert

 

Eine Brünne und Waschplätze.