Les Forges

Historical portrait :

The village was founded by three families of blacksmiths who settled here in the 11th century. Blacksmith, being “Forgeron” in French, explains why the village was then called Les Forges.

 

After 1870, with the construction of the Canal, of the Forts Belt of Epinal and the development of the railroad, many Italian and German immigrants came to settle in an off-centered hamlet: Les Brosses. A split then appeared between the immigrants’ community and the people in the village center.

 

The foreign workers asked for their own municipality. The other party had no issue with the matter. Both parties ended up voting for separation, and on February 23, 1873, the City Council unanimously accepted the division of Les Forges, thus creating a new village: Chantraine.

Monuments / Heritage:

The Church of Saint-Eloi

 

The Fountain of the Templers

 

Old wells, still filled with water

 

Natural springs


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Die Ortschaft entstand, als im 11. Jahrhundert drei Schmiede, mit ihren Familien, hier ansiedelten. Der französische Begriff für Schmied heißt „forgeron“. Daraus entstand der Name „Les Forges“ (die Werkstätten der Schmiede).

 

Ab 1870, mit dem Bau des Kanals, des Festungsgürtel von Epinal und der Eisenbahn, haben sich viele italienische und deutsche Immigranten in Les Brosses, im Umkreis von Les Forges, niedergelassen. Es entstand eine Trennung zwischen die Immigranten und die Bevölkerung des Dorfes. Schließlich verlangten beide Gruppierungen ihre eigene Ortsgemeinde.

 

Am 23. Februar 1873 stimmte der Gemeinderat einhellig für die Teilung von Les Forges. Der Ortsteil Les Brosses, im Zusammenschluss mit benachbarten Siedlungen, wurde zur Gemeinde Chantraine.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Die Kirche von Saint-Eloi

 

Der Templerbrunnen

 

Ein alter Schacht, noch voll mit Wasser

 

Natürliche Quellen