The legend says that the Roman Numerus would have come and thrown the foundations of the burg that would later become Nomexy. In the Middle Age, Nomexy was a strategic point.
The people of Nomexy had to take part in the military charges. They had to accept those customs as well as the religious influences they involved. Throughout the centuries, the land of Nomexy would be under the protection of three different family lines: the Vaudemonts, the Neufchatels and the Dukes of Lorraine.
At the end of the 19th century, thanks to the Canal and to the railroad line, Nomexy became a textile “factory-city”. The working-class neighborhoods (“Cités-Ouvrières”) were the token of the paternalism of this time: the boss took care of the employee’s daily needs.
The working-class neighborhoods (“Cités-Ouvrières”) : Directly linked with the factories of the Peters company they are a testament to what is commonly called
"paternalism": the boss took in charge some daily needs of his employees so that they remain in the company as long as possible. The Alsacian architecture of these Council estates shows the
origins of the working-class population. Indeed, many Alsacians settled in the Vosges further to the annexation of 1870.
The Church's construction started in 1847 and finished in 1851. Today nothing remains of the former Church. The style is neo-gothic Under the direction
of the architect Gahon of Epinal. It contains among other things a statue of Sainte-Magueritte of the 16th century and two statues representing Sainte-Catherine and
The Priory of Aubiey, dating at least from the 12th century. We have little information concerning ists creation. It is known that it was an annexe of the Piory of Herival near the current city of Val-d'Ajol. The Church of which only ruins remain was representative of the flamboyant gothic style of the 15th century. The romanesque tower, remaining from an older church was reused as a steeple. According to the tradition, crenels and a terrace were at its top serving for the defence and the observation of the surroundings. The church was destroyed in 1770 because it was too fragile and dangerous.
Die Legende erzählt, dass der Römer Numerus den Grundstein einer Stadt gebaut hat, die später Nomexy wurde. Im Mittelalter ist Nomexy ein strategischer Ort und die Bewohner müssen sich an militärischen Feldzügen beteiligen.
Die Stadt muss diese Sitten akzeptieren. Im Verlauf der Jahrhunderte wurde Nomexy von drei Familien beherrscht: die Vaudémont, die Neufchâtel und der Herzog von Lorraine. Am Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts wurde Nomexy dank des Kanals und der Eisenbahn zur „Industrie-Stadt“, besonders im Bereich der Textilindustrie. Die Arbeitersiedlungen ("Cités-Ouvrières“) sind die Symbole des damaligen Paternalismus: der Arbeitgeber kümmerte sich wie ein Vormund um die Alltagbedarfe der Arbeitnehmer, wie zum Beispiel die Errichtung von Werkskantinen oder Werkswohnungen. Diese Betriebe sind heute stillgelegt.
Die Cités-Ouvrières (Werkswohnungen)
Die Kirche vom 19. Jahrhundert
Das Priorat "Prieuré d’Aubiey“ , das mindestens auf das dem 12. Jahrhundert datiert werden kann.