Portieux

Historical portrait :

Portieux, called “Portus” at that time, was founded in the 12th century, under the Roman Empire. The place was crossed over by two important Roman Roads: the one from Langres to Strasbourg and the one from Metz to Basel. Portieux would grow around the Priory of Belval, which was founded in 1107 by Gerard de Vaudemont.

 

In the 15th century, Portieux would preserve its neutrality during the war opposing the Lorraine region and the Bourgogne region. Besides, the dialect sounds different compared to the others in the canton, and is more similar to the one of Rambervillers. The first glass factory was founded in 1705 and would remain the main activity in the area for the next several decades, enjoying the benefits of the Canal and the railroad line.

Monuments / Heritage:

The Glass Factory : originally created in Tannoy (Meurthe-et-Moselle) in 1698, the glass industry was transferred to Portieux in 1705 thanks to Léopold I, duke of Lorraine, who granted by decree the privilege to create a glasswork in Portieux to his friend François Magnien. 

During the Revolution it became a national good. It merged with Vallérysthal (Moselle) in 1871, greatly increasing its activity.

Like the Vosgian and Lorraine factories the glasswork was not spared by the industrial decline of the 20th century. It shut down a little time ago.

Today the glasswork open its doors for guided tours and démonstrations of glass blowing. A shop enables to expose the craftmen'sworks

 

The Convent of the Providence Sisters: founded in 1803 by abbot Feys. The nuns came from Essegney and were teachers. Its chapel would date from 1855.


 

The Mill of Pilan (1730)


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Portieux, damals Portus genannt, wurde im 12. Jahrhundert gegründet. Unter dem römischen Reich durchquerten zwei wichtige Römerstraßen das Dorf: die Straße von Langres bis Strasbourg und die von Metz bis Basel.

 

Die Ortschaft Portieux entfaltete sich um die Abtei "Prieuré de Belval“, die 1107 von Gérard de Vaudémont gegründet wurde.

 

Im 15. Jahrhundert, während der kriegerischen Auseinandersetzungen zwischen der Region Lorraine und der Region Bourgogne, bewahrte Portieux seine Neutralität. Der lokale Dialekt unterscheidet sich übrigens von den Akzenten in dem Kanton, und ist mehr dem von Rambervillers ähnlich. Die erste Glasfabrik entstand 1705.

 

Für die folgenden Jahrzehnte ist sie zum Hauptbetrieb von Portieux geworden. Die Eisenbahn und der Kanal kamen dieser Industrie dabei zu Gunsten.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Die Glasfabrik

 

Das Kloster der « Sœurs de la Providence » (1803)

 

Die Mühle „Moulin de Pilan“ (1730)