Sanchey

Historical portrait :

Little is known about Sanchey’s History. In April 1895, the village was completely destroyed by the disaster following the breach of the dam in Bouzey. Cracks and deformation of this 18-meter-high dam had been noted beforehand, but the breach was unexpected. The disaster made 88 victims.

Monuments / Heritage:

The Battery of Sanchey, aka Fort Férinot: this fort is part of the Forts Belts of Epinal, which was built before World War One to defend the line with Germany. The Battery kept control of the Vosges Canal and of the railroad junction. Even if it was used during both global conflicts, it is still in good condition. The drawbridge is still operational.

 

The “Etang de la Comtesse” (Pond of the Countess): this pond was previously called “Pond of the Forest”. The name of the Countess that gave her name to it and the time when she lived in the region remains a mystery to this day.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

Wenig kennt man über die Geschichte von Sanchey. Im April 1895 wurde die Kommune komplett durch eine Dammbruchkatastrophe in Bouzey zerstört. Risse und Deformierungen waren in dem 18-Meter-hohen Damm zuvor bemerkt worden, aber der Dammbruch kam unerwartet. Das Desaster forderte 88 Opfer.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Fort Férinot, die Befestigungsanlage von Sanchey, die zu dem Festungsgürtel von Epinal gehört und vor dem ersten Weltkrieg gebaut wurde, um die neuen französischen Grenzen zu schützen. Die zweite Bedeutung der Befestigungsanlage von Sanchey war die Überwachung des Vogesen Kanals und der Eisenbahnkreuzung. Obwohl sie für beide Weltkriege benützt wurde, ist sie noch instandgehalten. Die Zugbrücke ist noch im Betrieb.

 

Der See der Komtesse ("Etang de la Comtesse“) wurde anfänglich „der See des Walds“ genannt. Der Name der Komtesse, dessen Namen der See trägt, und die Epoche, in der sie gelebt hat, sind noch unbekannt.