Uzemain

Historical portrait :

“main”, that comes from manse, is Latin for house or domain. Uzemain was the domain of the Euze family.

 

Many Gallo-Roman vestiges have been found in the Coney Valley. The region was already inhabited in the 3rd century.

 

Between the 13th and the 18th century, the lands of Uzemain would belong to several families of lords: the Darnieulles, the Bourgs, and then the Bermans between 1570 and 1710, who are now appearing on the municipality’s coat of arms.

 

In 1816, a certain Alexis Lallemand bought the old Forge of Uzemain. He had the goal to restore the economy in the municipality. It was a success. At that time, each hamlet owned a school, which made 220 students in total. This was an encouraging figure for the territory. The Third Republic, at that time, was fighting for Equal Rights. In the 19th century, Uzemain built a Church, a City Hall and a Post Office, which contributed to the villagers’ pride.

 

In 1918, 75 young soldiers from Uzemain would never come back, and 7 in 1945.

 

On June 18, 1940, Uzemain was bombed by the Germans. 5 people were deported. Until World War II, life in the village remained traditional. Everybody owned a poultry-yard, farm animals and a vegetable garden. The German prisoners of war helped for the reconstruction of the damages after the war. In the 1920’s, electricity arrived in the village, followed by running water in the 1950’s.

Monuments / Heritage:

The Chapel of Thielouze: built in the 14th century. Pieces of furniture are remarkable.

 

Fort Roulon: it could shelter 400 soldiers. A watch post, still existing, allowed the transmission of coded signals.

 

The Forge of Uzemain: its thriving time was the 19th century. It is today disused and dismantled.


Geschichtlicher Überblick:

« main » kommt aus dem Lateinischen: manse, das Haus oder Landgut bedeutet. Uzemain bedeutet also „das Landgut der Euze Familie“.

 

Viele Gallo-romanische Überreste wurden in dem Tal vom Coney gefunden. Die Region war schon seit dem 3. Jahrhundert besiedelt.

 

Zwischen dem 13. und dem 18. Jahrhundert wurde das Land von Uzemain unter mehrere Herrschaften gestellt: die Familien Darnieulle, Bourg, und Berman (1570-1710). Der Wappen der Familie Berman erscheint heute auf dem der Stadt.

 

Im Jahre 1816 baute Alexis Lallemand das alte Eisenwerk von Uzemain wieder auf. Sein Ziel war es, dem Dorf einen neuen wirtschaftlichen Aufschwung zu geben. Es war ein Erfolg. Zu dieser Zeit besaß jeder Teil des Dorfes eine Schule: insgesamt 220 Studenten. Das war eine bemerkenswert hohe Zahl, besonders in der Zeit der 3. Republik, die die Chancengleichheit forderte.

 

Im 19. Jahrhundert baute Uzemain seine Kirche, sein Rathaus und sein Postamt: das trug zu dem Stolz der Bevölkerung bei. Nach dem ersten Weltkrieg kehrten 75 junge Soldaten nie zurück, und ebenso 7 weitere nach 1945.

 

Am 18. Juni 1940 wurde Uzemain von der deutschen Armee ausgebombt. 5 Personen wurden deportiert. Das Leben im Dorf war damals sehr traditionell: alle Häuser besaßen einen Hühnerhof, Weidevieh und einen Gemüsegarten. Nach dem zweiten Weltkrieg halfen die deutschen Kriegsgefangenen bei der Instandsetzung der Straßen. In den 1920er Jahren kam die Elektrizität in das Dorf, fließendes Wasser folgte in den 1950er Jahren.

Sehenswürdigkeiten:

Die Kirche von Sainte-Madeleine

 

Die Kapelle von Thielouze: im 14. Jh. gebaut. Möbelstücke sind bemerkenswert.

 

Das Fort vom Roulon: es konnte 400 Soldaten bergen. Durch einen noch-existierenden Aussichtposten gelang die Übertragung von kodierten Zeichen.

 

Das Eisenwerk von Uzemain ("Forge d’Uzemain“): seine Blütezeit war im 19. Jahrhundert. Es ist heute stillgelegt und verfallen.