People : the Vaxoncurtien
Rising to 310 meters above sea level, Vaxoncourt dominates the Moselle valley. The commune's territory is occupied since the Paleolithic. Many Roman relics were discovered in the close surroundings.
The name of Vaxoncourt is attested since 1147. In the thirteenth century, the village belonged to the lords of Bayon, junior branch of the Dukes of Lorraine. The area came under the control of the bishops of Metz in 1287, then the Dukes of Lorraine in 1567.
In the seventeenth century, the village suffered the brunt of the Thirty Years War. With the approach of the enemy, the people of Vaxoncourt left their home with their animals and asked for protection to the Lord of Châtel-sur-Moselle.
In 1635, the war was accompanied by fear, pestilence, famine, fire, sorcery (a woman at village was accused) ... The people of Vaxoncourt hid in the woods, sometimes for several years. The village was then completely emptied of its inhabitants. A few years later, it is recovering gradually.
Lorraine being partially depopulated, measures are taken by the Dukes Charles IV and Leopold to encourage immigrants to settle in, including tax exemptions for newcomers.
In 1900, an old mill was converted into pushbuttons. Until 1928, the site employed around 25 people in the manufacture of mother-of-pearl buttons.
The Tithe Barn: The Thirty Years War was raging. The villagers usually went to buy bread at the fortress of Châtel-sur-Moselle. This time, the city that suffered the occupation and lacked everything closed its doors and discharged hungry people outside its walls.
Famine, epidemics, bad weather ...people were tired. They went to find their priest to recover the tithe (a tax levied by the Church). The priest refused. In a rage, the villagers set fire to the "Tithe Barn." The fire spread and burned half of the village.
The tower of the Great Tithe was lowered by about one meter. Since it is called "the shortened tour".
The Vaxoncourt Bridge (remarkable edifice)
The current bridge dates from 1804 and enables to cross the Durbion. Formerly it was wooden and was the only means of passage between Châtel-sur-Moselle and Epinal.
The Button Factory Vaxoncourt (industry)
In 1900, an old mill converted into pushbuttons. Until 1928, the site employs around 25 people in the manufacture of mother of pearl buttons.
The Church of Saint Martin Vaxoncourt (religious)
It is built in neo-Gothic style, in 1868